½ packet of macaroni elbows
2 spring onions
2 cups of grated cheese (I use Colby & parmesan)
½ cup breadcrumbs
1 tbsp cornflour
2 tbsp butter
2 cups of milk
salt & pepper
- Place macaroni elbows in microwavable bowl, cover with water so there is 2 thirds water, 1 third macaroni. Season with salt. Pop in microwave for 5 mins. Stir when finished. Back on for 5 mins. Depending on your microwave cook until al dente. Drain water off then add tbsp of butter and mix through elbows.
- In a small pot on medium melt some butter, then add your cornflour and mix with a hand whisk. Start adding milk slowly as you blend the paste into the milk. Keep stirring, season with salt and pepper and add a cup of cheese whilst stirring. Always keep stirring as it will stick to the bottom and burn. Bring to boil slowly and it should thicken. If it doesn’t add more cornflour and cheese. Don’t over thicken you want it not quite as thick as gravy. Why? Because make too thick and the pasta when added will soak it up in the oven when its baking. Pop sauce to the side.
- Chop and dice the bacon and tomato and fry off in a pan using a splash of olive oil. You don’t need much. Bacon first, then tomato and lastly before you take it off add the spring onion.
- Mix the bacon, tomato & spring onion into the macaroni elbows then mix through sauce. Once mixed the consistency should be creamy not thick and stuck together.
- In a non stick cake pan, casserole dish or whatever container will fit, pour the mix into it and sprinkle breadcrumbs all over the top. Lastly sprinkle final cup of cheese over the breadcrumbs and season with salt and pepper.
- Pop into oven on bake @ 180c for 10 mins then last 10 mins turn on top grill (with dish in the middle of the oven) and grill for 5-10mins to caramel brown on top.