Kung Pow Chicken (spicy)
2 chicken breasts cut into slithers (can use thighs for moist tender bits but I like breasts)
2 tbsp corn flour
For the sauce
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp corn starch
¼ cup sweet chilli sauce
1 tbsp chilli in jar or fresh
1/4 cup water
(can add more chilli later depending on how hot you want it)
1 onion chopped into cubes
4-6 cloves of garlic finely chopped
2 capsicums red & green cut into cubes
3 spring onions slice long ways
1 cup of bean sprouts
½ cup of cashews
3 tbsp cooking oil
- Slither your chicken breasts and roll in the 2 tbsp of cornflour, set aside. The process with the cornflour is called velveting, it locks in moisture so your meat is tender
- Julienne the spring onions (slither longways) and set aside.
- Cube the capsicum and onion, finely dice up garlic and set aside.
- Mix sauce recipe together in cup and set aside.
- In a hot wok on gas or on BBQ with Teflon sheet heat the cooking oil and add the onion and cook through to translucent then add spring onions for a quick fry 30-40 seconds to wilt it and bring out the fragrance.
- Add meat and cook through till just about cooked for approx. 10 mins
- Add in veg and stir fry for about 5 mins.
- Add sauce mix and cook for additional 5 mins and it should thicken. Taste sauce for hotness, add more chilli now if you want spicier.
- Add water if too thick, sauce should be slightly thick like sweet chilli sauce.
- Serve and sprinkle nuts on top. Serve on rice or just as it is.